MY EXPERIENCE #1

It was September something 2012 and I just wrote my post UTME exams to gain admission into UNIBEN. I always had a passion for studying architecture but at that time, UNIBEN did have such course yet. I had to settle for civil engineering which was great at first, the excitement of finally leaving the house and gaining admission into the university was thrilling. My parents were so happy and supportive when the result came out and saw that I had passed. 

Few months later, I was settled in school and facing the challenges of being a civil engineering student. At first, it was all I could imagine, going to class learning new things and making new friends. But it wasn't easy per say. Mathematics was a very weak point of mine and everything in this course had Mathematics written all over it. 

I tried really hard for the first semester to make sure that I got up to the points required. I studies really hard and even had help from some of my course mates who were geniuses in the course. When the exam came, I did the best I could and made some points, or wasn't up to what was needed but I thought to myself, "if I could do this same thing next semester, I'd be able to make my first year."


Is your WhatsApp status looking boring? 

Are you looking for new statuses to spice things up?

Here are some channels that you can join💪

Click on the links below 

GyanTV

KenzydTV 

YentTV 

YettyTV


The next semester started rough, I had a bit of girl trouble that took a lot of my time and reading hours. I was happy that I was able to get rid of my problems on time before it affected my studies, or so I thought. 

I started off by pairing with my course mates who would help me out, unfortunately most of them couldn't, the work load we had that semester was so many that none of my mates had time for me, they were all busy with books, projects and assignments. I quickly got my act together and started studying as heck. I made sure to attend all my classes, do all given assignments and be present for all projects just so I could gather as many extra points as I could. 

It was finally exam period and I was sure I had things under control. It's funny how the topics lecturers teach seem to change during the exam. I answered the ones I could and hoped for a good result. 

Finally the result came, it was up to the expected mark to move me to the next level. It wasn't even enough too give me some carryovers. I was really scared that the worst had happened. I quickly checked my profile online and saw that I had been probated. 


Is your WhatsApp status looking boring? 

Are you looking for new statuses to spice things up?

Here are some channels that you can join💪

Click on the links below 

GyanTV

KenzydTV 

YentTV 

YettyTV


Probated, I never thought this could happen to me, I never thought it could. For a while I blamed everyone around me, my ex girlfriend, my friends who couldn't help me out when I needed them the most, I even blamed my lecturers for setting such questions that'd keep a person thinking for days before getting an answer. 

I was depressed for weeks thinking of the next step. The probation was for just a year but still, I was so confident that I had everything under control that it all blew up in my face. My parents who I always called and told that I was fine, I started ignoring their calls. I couldn't face them, what would they think of me? What would they say?

I finally summoned the courage to tell them about my probation. My Dad was completely disappointed, so was my Mum. They couldn't believe that I had failed so terribly. They didn't even believe a word I said when I told them that I really tried, to them, it was just another excuse. 

h

Weeks and months passed and I was still in school not doing anything. I couldn't go home because I couldn't bear to see the disappointment on my parents faces. I couldn't stand to be judged when I knew full well that I did my best. I stayed back in school even during holidays. After a while, I went on to seek advice from some of the lecturers around the department. I was shut down and looked down on a lot. I got sent out of many lecturers office because they felt I wasn't bright enough to be in their midst, maybe. 

After a whole month of facing rejection, I got in contact with a lecturer. He was not a lecturer from my department or even faculty. I got to talk to him and told him about my problem.

He advised me and told me that if I really want to graduate with a good GP that I should transfer to a suitable course where I actually work hard and get a deserving grade since civil engineering is harder than what I can handle. I was really happy when I heard this and called to tell my Dad. I tried talking and explaining myself to him but he didn't listen, I'm sure all he heard was that I wanted to waste more of his money😅. 


Is your WhatsApp status looking boring? 

Are you looking for new statuses to spice things up?

Here are some channels that you can join💪

Click on the links below 

GyanTV

KenzydTV 

YentTV 

YettyTV


This was when the hardest time of my school life actually started. My house rent was about to expire, I couldn't head home, nor could I call home for money. 

I began to sell most of my properties to get money, sad thing was that I didn't have anything of value back then, I had no TV, I had no laptop, nothing at all. 

I started selling things like my fan, my bed, my kitchen tools and even my engineering textbook since I'll be transferring. 

I was at the edge of giving up on school when I couldn't even sell my stuffs to make up to 80K which was my transfer fee. I had to start looking for friends who could help me out in whatever way they could. Some could and some could not, I wasn't surprised, they were students like me, where would they want to get money from when they too need money to survive in school. 

>

I finally got help from a friend who I'll be grateful to till the day I die. He took me into his house since I had nowhere to stay, He became a sorta breadwinner to my life and helped me out with the little things like food and shelter. With such help I was able to gather the money to transfer into another suitable course by the end of my probation. Once my probation was over, I transfer to the Department of Computer Science, the faculty of Physical Science. Where I met the lecturer who gave me the 

advice to transfer. He was thrilled when he met me. I appreciated him a lot because I'm pretty sure he must have played a part in my acceptance. 

I got settled into my new course and started doing my very best not to repeat my mistakes. I was so focused on nothing but my books and made sure nothing and no one distracted me. My first semester and second semester result came at the same time at the end of the session. And thankfully I did very well in both. 

My parents started warming up to me once I apologized for being distant from them before I told them all that happened. My mum especially was thrilled to know that I was doing well in my new course. She helped me throughout my school period and I'm proud to have graduated with a second class. 


Things didn't go my way most of the time in school. There were periods I felt like giving up even after the probation. I felt I had no reason to struggle since I was only gonna end up as a failure. But I kept on going, I knew I had a purpose and I faced it and made myself proud. 

The world may give up on you, the system may not favour you, but never give up. Never surrender to the system. There's always a way out. 

#inspired 😇💪


Is your WhatsApp status looking boring? 

Are you looking for new statuses to spice things up?

Here are some channels that you can join💪

Click on the links below 

GyanTV

KenzydTV 

YentTV 

YettyTV

Comments

Post a Comment

Let's talk people, Tell me what you think